|Hourly||Pay Period*||Annually||Hours per Week|
|Fire Recruit (13 Weeks)||$17.31||$1,385.21||$36,015.46||40 Hour Work Week|
|Probationary FF (One Year Probation)||$12.36||$1,385.21||$36,015.46||56 Hour Work Week|
|1 year Private II||$17.66||$1,978.01||$51,428||56 Hour Work Week|
|2 year Private II||$18.93||$2,120.53||$55,133.78||56 Hour Work Week|
|3 year Private (Top)||$19.60||$2,195.69||$57,087.94||56 Hour Work Week|
|2 year FFP||$20.63||$2,311.37||$60,095.62||56 Hour Work Week|
|3 year FFP||$21.36||$2,393.28||$62,225.29||56 Hour Work Week|
Fire Alarm Operators
|Fire Alarm Operator I||$1,400.45||$36,411.70|
|Fire Alarm Operator II (1 – 2 years)||$2,020.28||$52,527.28|
|Fire Alarm Operator II (2 – 3 years)||$2,169.99||$56,419.74|
|Fire Alarm Operator III||$2,365.84||$61,511.84|
|Fire Alarm Operator/Sr.||$2,666.63||$69,332.38|
Single Role Paramedic
Lateral Firefighter and Paramedic will top out at the 3 year FF and FFP pay rate after completing the one year probationary period.
|1 year Lateral Firefighter||$18.93||$55,133.78|
|1 year Lateral FFP||$20.63||$60,095.62|
|Hourly||Hours per Week|
|Fire Cadet||$15.00||24 Hour Work Week|
Additional Pay, Incentives & Professional Development
College Incentive Pay
You can earn additional pay by completing college level courses. Firefighters will earn an extra % pay for some semester hours completed and 7.5% pay for a 4 year degree after the initial one year probationary period.
College Tuition Reimbursement
The Memphis Fire Department offers $3000 annually to acquire higher education.
Student Loan Reduction Program (Tuition.io)
- Offers monthly contribution with no lifetime maximum for as long as you are employed with the City of Memphis.
- Provides extra student loan payments – by the City each month – helping you save time and money.
- The Tuition.io platform, allow employees to see all of their student loans, repayment strategies, financing options, and the positive impact that the loan contributions make toward their financial wellness.
Public Safety Student Loan Debt Forgiveness (PSLF) Program
Firefighters with 10 years of service can eliminate 100% of their outstanding federal student loan debt.
Relocation Reimbursement Expense for Out-of-Area Applicants (Fire Laterals)
The Memphis Fire Department will cover the cost, up to $3500, for one-way moving expenses following acceptance of the final job offer.
Annual Uniform Allotment
The Memphis Fire Department will provide $450 for the first year after probation and $350 the following years.
Extra Pay Opportunities
Earn extra money by becoming a better you.
Out of Rank Pay
The Memphis Fire Department provides our firefighters with the opportunity to earn extra money by working Temporary or Special assignments. Be exposed to new techniques and situations that will make you a better firefighter while earning extra income. This provides a mutually beneficial situation for the city and the firefighter.
Field Training Officer (F.T.O.) Pay for Paramedic Operational Training
Receive 5% extra pay hourly during training while learning valuable life saving skills.
Employee Benefits Summary
A an employee of the Memphis Fire Department, on the date you are hired, you will become eligible for a wide range of supplemental benefits for both you and your family. Learn more about our current benefits by following the links below.
- BCBST (Blue Cross/Blue Shield TN)
- BLUE Health Rewards
Life Insurance – Contributory and Voluntary Coverage
- The City of Memphis offers a $10,000 death benefit to all regular full-time and $5,000 retired employees at no-cost.
- The City of Memphis offers a $250,000 “line of duty” death benefit to firefighters at no-cost.
Dental Insurance Options (Individual & Family)
- BCBST Dental Insurance – City of Memphis plan
- Dental Insurance – IAFF Union Plan
Vision Coverage Options (Individual & Family)
- BCBST Vision – City of Memphis Plan
Employee/Retiree Wellness Clinic
Zero cost medication and medical services offered to all City of Memphis employees, retirees, and their family members who have City of Memphis health benefits. The City of Memphis forged a partnership with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and BMG (Baptist Medical Group) to provide these quality services and to reduce employees’ overall healthcare cost.
- Zero cost service you can connect to with a board certified doctor via secure video chat or phone.
- Physician Now
FSA (Flexible Spending Account) / HRA (Health Reimbursement Arrangement)
- Healthcare Account – Visa Card
- Dependent Care Account
Long Term and Short Term Disability Plans
- Standard Insurance
Plan for Your Retirement
The City of Memphis Hybrid Pension Plan is a market based cash balance plan and a 401(a) defined contribution plan, designed as an opportunity to earn more money for retirement. It is a combination of a traditional retirement plan alongside a defined contribution plan.
Deferred Compensation / 457(b) Plan
- The deferred compensation plan is a supplemental retirement plan that allows employees to save money on tax-deferred basis.
- An optional employee tax deferred retirement savings plan that can voluntarily be added to the Hybrid Pension balance to increase the amount of the guaranteed lifetime monthly annuity the employee will receive.