Fire Cadets receive training at the Fire Training Academy by instructors of Memphis Fire. Students benefit from one-on-one instructor guidance and are supported toward academic success.
Fire Cadets are placed in a cohort which they will train with for the remainder of their Cadet and Recruit careers. Students build bonds and trust among each other that last for years to come.
Fire Cadets rotate between many departments within Memphis Fire. They are exposed to individuals of all ranks and expertise throughout the program.
Fire Cadets have a unique experience with Memphis Fire as they get to serve in many departments such as the Healthcare Navigator, Fire Training Academy, Office of Emergency Management, and more!
All candidates MUST meet the following:
- Current High School Senior
- Candidate’s age must be at lease eighteen (18) years by the starting date of the Fire Cadet Class; and candidate’s age cannot exceed twenty (20) years by the date of the employment in this position
- Must be record-free of any felony and/or misdemeanor conviction involving moral turpitude and pass required background investigation.
- Must pass comprehensive medical examination which meets the National Fire Protection Association Standards (NFPA-1582). Must pass a battery of tests which may include written fire selection tests and physical ability test
- Applicants must have a valid Class D Tennessee Driver’s License or valid Out of State driver’s license upon entry into the Fire Training Academy.
The Hiring Process
The hiring process to “Find your Fire” (as a Memphis Fire Cadet) begins after completing the initial online application and consists of multiple steps. Click through the numbers below to learn more about each step of the process
Complete the Online Application
- Apply Today
- Search and select the job posting title “Fire Cadet”
- Click “Apply for Job”
- Enter your email address and click “Go” (using a valid email address of which you check periodically)
- If you do not have an account, enter your first and last name after clicking “Go”, then click “Start Application”
- Click “I Accept”, after reading the privacy agreement
- Enter your login credential and click “Login”
- Complete application
- Advance to review, then Submit
Application will be reviewed and if minimum qualifications are met, the applicant will be forwarded to the Testing Team for self-scheduling of tests.
Attend and successfully pass the Battery of tests
All applicants are required to bring and present a valid form of identification such as a driver’s license, state ID, or current school ID to be admitted for testing.
All applicants must successfully pass each test component.
- Reading Comprehension and Math Assessment
- Revised Candidate Physical Agility Test
Click below for testing preparation, instructions, and to take a practice test.
*Note: The Physical Agility Test will be a scaled-down version of the CPAT Test you see on this video
Accept the contingent job offer
Contingent Job Offers are given with consideration of the applicant’s ability to successfully complete and pass the remaining screenings and assessments.
Candidates are selected on individual merits; not a first come, first serve basis. Fire Cadet classes will be filled – in accordance to budgetary allowance – based on the candidates’ succession through all phases of the employment process.
Successfully pass the background investigation screening
The following factors will be acquired and evaluated for employment consideration:
- Employment History
Successfully test and pass a battery of pre-employment screenings and reviews
Day 1 – Medical Assessment
Testing for MEDICAL portion will be conducted at:Concentra Medical (Near Memphis Int’l Airport)
2831 Airways Blvd, Bldg. A, Suite 102
Memphis, TN 38132
Please bring the completed medical forms (sent via email) and present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing.
Day 2 – Psychological Exam (Written and Interview)
Present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing and other documents as directed via email.
Psychological Exam will be conducted at:The Memphis Fire Training Academy
4341 Academy Drive
Memphis, TN 38127
Applicants are required to bring and present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing.
Receive and Accept the final job offer
Note: The entire employment process generally takes two (2) to six (6) months to determine an applicant’s suitability for employment.
Attend MFD’s candidate processing session
- All cadet candidates will be advised to attend a candidate processing session at the MFD Training Academy to be fitted for Uniforms and other PPE equipment
- Bring all required forms as instructed
- Tour the Academy facility
- Review parking instructions
- Receive 1st day expectations and instructions
- Meet the MFD Command and Training Staff
- Final Processing paperwork from HR
Attend Human Resources Orientation
This informational session will be conducted at:Virtual Online Orientation
4341 Academy Dr.
Memphis, TN 38127
Opportunity to sign-up for employee benefits and other offerings.
Health and Life insurance are 1st day coverage plans.
Complete 3-5 weeks of paid training as a Fire Cadet and graduate from the Memphis Fire Training Academy
A successful Fire Cadet candidate will complete an 3-5-week training program immediately following his/her initial hire