All candidates MUST meet the following:
- State of Tennessee National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) certified Firefighter I, II and EMT or AEMT, or eligible for reciprocity in the State of Tennessee
- and two (2) years of experience with a full- time Fire Service or five (5) years with a volunteer Fire Service.
- Candidate’s age must be at least nineteen (19) years by the starting date of the hiring class for which he/she is considered; and candidate’s age cannot exceed forty (40) years by the date of the employment in this position.
- Must pass comprehensive medical examination and a physical ability test.
- Required to complete coursework/testing to obtain and maintain a Paramedic license by the State of Tennessee within twenty-four (24) months from their date of employment if applicant holds Advanced EMT licensure or within thirty-six (36) months from their date of employment if applicant holds EMT licensure.
- Must have a valid Class D Tennessee Driver’s License or valid Out of State driver’s license upon entry into the Fire Training Academy.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Class D Tennessee Driver’s License with Endorsement F, within six (6) months as a condition of employment.
Fire Private II – Lateral applicants must successfully complete and pass the following entry level requirements:
- Physical Ability Test
- Background Screening
- Psychological Exam (Written and Interview)
- Medical Assessment
The Hiring Process
The hiring process to “Find your Fire” (a Memphis Fire Private II – Lateral) begins after completing the initial online application and consists of multiple steps, including but not limited to physical testing, pre-employment screenings, psychological (written & interview) and medical assessments.
Complete the online application
- Click the “Apply Today” button on our Home page or click here.
- Search and select the job posting title “Fire Private II – Lateral”
- If you meet the minimum requirements as a Fire Private II – Lateral and want to serve the Memphis community click “Apply for Job”
- Enter your email address and click “Go” (using a valid email address of which you check periodically)
- If you do not have an account, enter your first and last name after clicking “Go”, then click “Start Application”
- Click “I Accept”, after reading the privacy agreement
- Enter your login credential and click “Login”
- Complete application
- Advance to review, then Submit
Applicant will immediately receive a confirmation via email – please continue to monitor your email account, days later.
Application will be reviewed and if minimum qualifications are met, the applicant will be forwarded to the Interview Team for scheduling.
Skills Assessment Phone Interview with the Fire Instructor Team
All applicants must successfully pass each test component.
Accept the contingent job offer
Contingent Job Offers are given with consideration of the applicant’s ability to successfully complete and pass the remaining screenings and assessments.
Candidates are selected on individual merits; not a first come, first serve basis. Fire Private II Lateral will be filled – in accordance to budgetary allowance – based on the candidates’ succession through all phases of the employment process.
Successfully pass the background investigation screening
The following factors will be acquired and evaluated for employment consideration:
- Employment History
Successfully test and pass a battery of pre-employment screenings and reviews
Successful candidates to this point will be scheduled for 2 days of further pre-employment testing:
Day 1 – Medical Assessment
Testing for MEDICAL portion will be conducted at:Concentra Medical (Near Memphis Int’l Airport)
2831 Airways Blvd, Bldg. A, Suite 102
Memphis, TN 38132
Please bring the completed medical forms (sent via email) and present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing.
Day 2 – Psychological Exam (Written and Interview) & Physical Ability Test
Present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing and other documents as directed via email.
Click the button below for testing preparation, instructions, and to take the PAT.
Psychological & Physical Exam will be conducted at:The Memphis Fire Training Academy
4341 Academy Drive
Memphis, TN 38127
Applicants are required to bring and present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing.
Receive and Accept the final job offer
Note: The entire employment process generally takes two (2) to six (6) months to determine an applicant’s suitability for employment.
Attend MFD’s candidate processing session
- All recruit candidates will be advised to attend a candidate processing session at the MFD Training Academy to be fitted for Uniforms and other PPE equipment
- Bring all required forms as instructed
- Tour the Academy facility
- Review parking instructions
- Receive 1st day expectations and instructions
- Issuance of Benefits package
- Meet the MFD Command and Training Staff
- Final Processing paperwork from HR
Reimbursable Moving Expenses
- Meals while in route to Memphis (need detailed receipts), will not pay for alcohol
- Fuel or Mileage (whichever is more) will only pay for one trip
- Lodging while in route to Memphis Rental truck
- Penalties for a broken lease
- Moving supplies such as boxes and tape
Please provide detailed receipts and/or documentation for reimbursable expenses, maximum of $2500.
Attend Human Resources Orientation
This informational session will be conducted at:Virtual Online Orientation
4341 Academy Dr.
Memphis, TN 38127
Opportunity to sign-up for employee benefits and other offerings.
Health and Life insurance are 1st day coverage plans.
Complete 7 weeks of paid training as a Lateral and graduate from the Memphis Fire Training Academy
A successful Fire Private II – Lateral or Firefighter Paramedic – Lateral candidate will complete a 7-week training
program and followed by a 12-month probationary period under the supervision of a Field Training Officer (F.T.O).