All candidates MUST meet the following:
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Candidate’s age must be at least nineteen (19) years by the starting date of the hiring class for which he/she is considered; and candidate’s age cannot exceed forty (40) years by the date of the employment in this position.
- Must be currently licensed as a Paramedic by any State and be eligible for reciprocity in the State of Tennessee prior to employment.
- Must currently have or had held a Paramedic National Registry Certification.
- Must maintain Paramedic licensure as required by state guidelines in accordance with the Tennessee Emergency Medical Act as a condition of continued employment.
- Must be record free of any felony and/or misdemeanor conviction involving moral turpitude and pass a required background investigation.
- Must pass a comprehensive medical examination and physical ability test which does not include the Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT).
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class D Tennessee Driver’s License with Endorsement F as a condition of continued employment.
Single Role Paramedic applicants must successfully complete and pass the following entry level requirements:
- Physical Ability Test
- Background Screening
- Psychological Exam (Written and Interview)
- Medical Assessment
The Hiring Process
The hiring process to “Find your Fire” (a Memphis Fire Single Role Paramedic) begins after completing the initial online application and consists of multiple steps, including but not limited to physical testing, pre-employment screenings, psychological (written & interview) and medical assessments.
Complete the online application
- Click the “Apply Today” button on our Home page or click here.
- Search and select the job posting title “Single Role Paramedic”
- If you meet the minimum requirements as a Single Role Paramedic and want to serve the Memphis community click “Apply for Job”
- Enter your email address and click “Go” (using a valid email address of which you check periodically)
- If you do not have an account, enter your first and last name after clicking “Go”, then click “Start Application”
- Click “I Accept”, after reading the privacy agreement
- Enter your login credential and click “Login”
- Complete application
- Advance to review, then Submit
Applicant will immediately receive a confirmation via email – please continue to monitor your email account, days later.
Application will be reviewed and if minimum qualifications are met, the applicant will be forwarded to the Interview Team for scheduling.
Skills Assessment Phone Interview with the Fire Instructor Team
All applicants must successfully pass each test component.
Accept the contingent job offer
Contingent Job Offers are given with consideration of the applicant’s ability to successfully complete and pass the remaining screenings and assessments.
Candidates are selected on individual merits; not a first come, first serve basis. Single Role Paramedics will be filled – in accordance to budgetary allowance – based on the candidates’ succession through all phases of the employment process.
Successfully pass the background investigation screening
The following factors will be acquired and evaluated for employment consideration:
- Employment History
Successfully test and pass a battery of pre-employment screenings and reviews
Successful candidates to this point will be scheduled for 2 days of further pre-employment testing:
Day 1 – Medical Assessment
Testing for MEDICAL portion will be conducted at:Concentra Medical (Near Memphis Int’l Airport)
2831 Airways Blvd, Bldg. A, Suite 102
Memphis, TN 38132
Please bring the completed medical forms (sent via email) and present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing.
Day 2 – Psychological Exam (Written and Interview) & Physical Ability Test
Present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing and other documents as directed via email.
Click the button below for testing preparation, instructions, and to take the PAT.
Psychological & Physical Exam will be conducted at:The Memphis Fire Training Academy
4341 Academy Drive
Memphis, TN 38127
Applicants are required to bring and present a valid driver’s license to be admitted for testing.
Receive and Accept the final job offer
Note: The entire employment process generally takes two (2) to six (6) months to determine an applicant’s suitability for employment.
Attend MFD’s candidate processing session
- All recruit candidates will be advised to attend a candidate processing session at the MFD Training Academy to be fitted for Uniforms and other PPE equipment
- Bring all required forms as instructed
- Tour the Academy facility
- Review parking instructions
- Receive 1st day expectations and instructions
- Issuance of Benefits package
- Meet the MFD Command and Training Staff
- Final Processing paperwork from HR
Attend Human Resources Orientation
This informational session will be conducted at:Virtual Online Orientation
4341 Academy Dr.
Memphis, TN 38127
Opportunity to sign-up for employee benefits and other offerings.
Health and Life insurance are 1st day coverage plans.
Complete 2 weeks in-class and 6 weeks field paid training as a Paramedic and graduate from the Memphis Fire Training Academy
A successful Paramedic candidate will complete a 2 weeks in-class and 6 weeks paid training program and followed by a
12-month probationary period under the supervision of a Field Training Officer (F.T.O).